My trips to Ontario, Quebec, Michigan, and New York have come to an end. I might return but we will see.
The trips were EPIC. I did 2014 miles the first time and 1964 miles the second. The research is not done, it really never is!
These two trips have given me a visual memory of the places I have visited. I also have my posts for memory jogging and my journal which is more personal and detailed. I have the memory of the feel of the road, sort of like the lay of the land, the tastes, and smells. I love Canada it is beautiful and the people are helpful, pleasant and just plain nice. I also feel that I have a better understanding of the sources, archives and how to do my genealogy now. We will see.
Below you will find a Table of Content for both trips featuring the posts I have written about my journeys. I do want to say that writing posts while traveling the editing can be a challenge so if you find slight funny editorial mistakes, it happens. So be patient with me. I may do some maintenance and cleaning up. I am pretty busy getting caught up.
To find these posts, you can go to the right side of this blog and find the Archives and the box will drop down and you can pick a date, or you can use the search box to find a post. These are strictly the posts on this blog, if you want to see the posts on the Boardmans and Brown blog for that part of my trip which covers my mother’s side of the family, you will have to go there and look at the page at the top of the blog, titled: Trips to Canada: 2012 and 2014 Posts. The link is on the right side of this blog.
Update 4/17/2016: These trips were a combination of research on my Mc/MacDonald side and my mother’s side the Boardman’s and Browns so you might check that blog for more details about my trips. See the right side of this blog for a link.
Second Trip to Ontario and Quebec, including Michigan and New York September 2014:
- September 11, 2014 Second Trip to Ontario has Begun…
- September 12, 2014 Ontario Wanderings: Loyalists and the Niagara Area, Part I (About Lt. Col. John Butler’s statue in Niagara region)
- September 13, 2014 Ontario Wanderings: Loyalists and the Niagara Area, Part II (About Lt. Col. John Butler’s family graves).
- September 14, 2014 Ontario Wanderings: Heritage Site, The Steward House (About the Colored in Ontario).
- September 16, 2014 Ontario Musings: Brock University and the Loyalist Collection
- September 29, 2014 Ontario Wanderings: Revisiting Kingston in Ontario
- September 29, 2014 Ontario Wanderings: Kingston Frontenac Library (About their Genealogical collection).
- September 30, 2014 Ontario Wanderings: The Brockville Museum & Leeds Grenville Branch of the OGS (Ontario Genealogical Society)
- September 30, 2014 Ontario Wanderings: The Glengarry area..Again..
These posts cover Quebec:
- October 1, 2014 Quebec Wanderings: Lancaster to Pointe-Claire, Quebec
- October 2, 2014 Quebec Wanderings: The Quebec Family History Society (In Pointe-Claire).
- October 2, 2014 Quebec Wanderings: A Visit to Montreal (Includes the Jean Talon Market, finding my hotel etc.)
- October 3, 2014 Quebec Wanderings: Montreal & The Grande Bibliotheque
- October 4, 2014 Quebec Wanderings: Historic City Center – Old Montreal (Vieux-Montreal)
- October 4, 2014 Quebec Wanderings: Montreal and the BAnQ (Archives of Quebec)
- October 4, 2014 Quebec Wanderings: A last look at Montreal…
These posts cover my time in New York State. On the Boardman and Brown Blog I do cover my visit to Niagara Falls.
- October 5, 2014 New York Wanderings: Montreal to Plattsburgh, NY
- October 5, 2014 New York Wanderings: The Adirondacks and Warrensburg
- October 5, 2014 New York Wanderings: Fort Johnston and the Mohawk Valley
- October 5, 2014 New York Wanderings: William Johnson House – The Mohawk Valley
- October 6, 2014 New York Wanderings: To Alexandria Bay
- October 6, 2014 New York Wanderings: Getting to Boldt Castle
- October 7, 2014 New York Wanderings: Boldt Castle..a sad story!
- October 7, 2014 New York Wanderings: Bolt Castle the grounds and the view!
- October 8, 2014 new York Wanderings: Heading Home (my travel across New York State).
What you find below is my first trip to Ontario and Quebec in Spring of 2012.
We start with my tour of the Upper Ottawa River Valley on both the Ontario and Quebec sides.
- Monday, May 21, 2012: A Tour of The Upper Ottawa, First Pembroke’s Marina, May 27, 2012
- Touring the Upper Ottawa River: Pontiac County, Quebec – Allumette Island and Chapeau, May 27, 2012
- Touring the Upper Ottawa River: St. Alphonsus of Liguori, May, 28, 2012
- Touring the Upper Ottawa: Chichester Township, Pontiac County, Quebec, June 4, 2012
- Touring the Upper Ottawa River: Sheenboro Township in Quebec, June 9, 2012
- Touring the Upper Ottawa Valley: St. Joseph on Allumette Island, Quebec, June 12, 2012
- The Pontiac Archives, Shawville, Quebec, June 13, 2012
- The Pontiac Archives, Shawville, Quebec – One More Time!, June 14, 2012
- Calumet Island, Pontiac County, Quebec, June 14, 2012
- Hwy 148: The Quebec Side of the Outaouais River, June 15, 2012
- Pembroke, Renfrew County, Ontario, June 15, 2012
- Pembroke, Ontario: The Upper Ottawa Valley Genealogical Group & Library, June 15, 2012
At this time I headed back to Ottawa via Arnprior and I am so glad I stopped in that city:
- Arnprior, Renfrew County, Ontario: Archives, June 15, 2012
- Arnprior: Albert Street Cemetery, June 15, 2012
- First Visit: Ottawa in the Rain!, June 15, 2012
- Ottawa: The Ottawa Public Library, Main Branch, June 16, 2012
- Ottawa: Libraries and Archives Canada!, June 16, 2012
- Ottawa: Exploring its Food, Pubs and Sights, June 16, 2012
- Ottawa: A Pub and the Rideau Canal!, June 27, 2012
This is when I headed west to pursue the family history of the Browns. Now a lot of McDonells/MacDonalds came to Lanark so I am glad I stopped there as well just wish it has been a little longer now.
- Lanark County: Smith Falls, Ontario, June 17, 2012
- Smith Falls and the Rideau Canal, June 17, 2012
- Perth, no time to dally!, June 18, 2012
- West to Marmora, Hastings County, Ontario, June 18, 2012
The Ontario Genealogical Society was having their conference in Kingston. I attended and also visited the Diocese of Ontario for Brown research.
- Arriving in Kingston, Ontario, June 20, 2012
- Kingston: Anglican Archive, Visit with a Friend & the OGS, June 21, 2012
Since I don’t know the origins of Archibald and Mary McDonell my great grandparents yet, I figured I should get to know all the famous McD’s possible.
Now we start with the McD search and research:
- Kingston and the Cataraqui Cemetery – A Special Visit, June 22, 2012
- The St. Lawrence River and the 1000 Island Parkway, June 22, 2012
- Brockville: A quick Visit!, June 22, 2012
- Prescott, another town on the St. Lawrence, June 22, 2012
- At Last! Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry!, June 22, 2012
- An Overview: Dundas, Stormont and the city of Cornwall, Ontario, June 24, 2012
- The Cornwall Public Library’s Genealogical & History Collection, June 24, 2012
- A Gem in the United Counties of S.D.&G: La Genealogie et archives Saint-Laurent, Inc., June 24, 2012
- Cornwall Community Museum! June 25, 2012
- Touring Glengarry: Glengarry Archives & the Sir John Johnson House, June 26, 2012
- Touring Glengarry: The Nor’Westers and Loyalist Museum, June 26, 2012
- Touring Glengarry: Williamstown, June 26, 2012
- Touring Glengarry: Dunvegan & The Glengarry Pioneer Museum, June 27, 2012
- Touring Glengarry: Alexandria “The Centre of Glengarry,” June 27, 2012
- Touring Glengarry: St. Raphael’s, June 28, 2012
- Touring Glengarry: Martintown, June 28, 2012
- Touring Glengarry: St. Andrews West (Stormont), June 28, 2012
- Touring Glengarry: Lancaster, June 28, 2012
- Last Night in Cornwall, A Turn of Events and a lovely view!, June 28, 2012
- Touring Glengarry: Cornwall to South Lancaster, June 29, 2012
- Touring Glengarry: Kirkhill, June 29, 2012
- Touring Glengarry: Lochiel, Glen Sandfield, Dalkeith, June 29, 2012
- Prescott, Russell, The Ottawa River & Ottawa!, June 29, 2012
- Ottawa and Gatineau Archives, June 30, 2012
- In Reflection: My Trip to Ontario and Quebec, June 30, 2012