McDonald Family 1905
This picture shows Keith’s grandparents and his aunt, uncles and father, Archibald and Mary McDonald’s family. Starting on the left we have Nellie, Mary (seated), Jack, Archibald (seated), Ronald and Alex (seated). Keith’s father is Ronald the one standing on the right next and behind Archibald. There is one person missing from this photo. The oldest son Angus.
Mary and Archibald actually had eight (8) children. Five (5) children survived and lived to have full lives. Two had descendants. Jack had a daughter and Ronald and Grace had the 8 children listed in a previous post dated February 27, 2010.
Their children were born in Chichester, Pontiac Co., Quebec. Their births and baptisms are recorded in the St. Alphonsus Catholic Church registers in Chapeau, Pontiac Co., Quebec.
The Children of Archibald and Mary McDonald are as follows.
1. John McDonald born 10 December 1861, baptized 12 December 1861. This baby must have died before 1871 for he is not listed on the 1871 Canadian census. A death record nor burial location has been found at this time.
2. John Alexander McDonald born 18 April 1863, baptized 26 April 1863 and died probably before 1871 for he is also not listed on the 1871 Canadian census. This child’s death record and burial location has also not been found at this time.
3. Angus Lawrence McDonald born 6 August 1864, baptized 13 August 1864. He died 2 May 1931 in Seattle, King County, Washington of pneumonia, He is buried in the Calvary Cemetery in Seattle with other family members. Angus is listed as “Agnes” in the records.
4. Ronald Sandfield McDonald born 22 July 1866, baptized the 26 July 1866. Keith’s father died on the 24 of July 1947 in Yakima, Yakima County, Washington of old age. He is buried in the Calvary Cemetery in Yakima, Washington with other members of the family.
5. John Archibald McDonald (Jack) was born 3 June 1869, baptized 14 June 1869. He died on 11 December 1949 in Moose Lake, Koochiching County, Minnesota of old age. He is buried in the St. Thomas Cemetery (Forest Hill) in International Falls, Koochiching County, Minnesota with other family members.
6. Ellen Elizabeth McDonald (Nellie) was born 26 November 1870, baptized the 26 November 1870. She died on the 8th of May, 1947 in Yakima, Yakima County, Washington of old age. She is buried next to her brother Ronald in the Calvary Cemetery in Yakima and with other family members.
7. Alexander Thomas McDonald was born 2 December 1872 and baptized the 17 December 1872. He died the 3rd of November 1955 in International Falls, Koochiching Co., Minnesota. He is buried next to his brother Jack in the St. Thomas Cemetery (Forest Hill) in International Falls, Minnesota.
8. George James McDonald was born 22 July 1878, baptized 27 July 1878 and must have died before the 1881 Canadian census for he does not appear with the rest of the family. A death record and burial location have not yet been found.
I will give more details about the records of the St. Alphonsus Catholic Church in another post. This church is located in Chapeau, Pontiac Co., Quebec. It is across the Ottawa River from Pembroke which is in Ontario.
Here is information on the Catholic Diocese of Pembroke: http://pembrokediocese.com/web/english/directory/index.shtml