I got a little excited about Jennette and jumped to her before sharing about her older brother Hugh McDonell also a son of Alexander John and Ellen (McPherson) McDonell.
Hugh was born about 1834 in Upper Canada. He married Ellen McDonald on 24 May 1858 in the St. Alphonsus church. Ellen’s parents were John McDonald and Catherine McGuire.
Source: Quebec Baptisms, Marriage and Burial Indexes from the St. Alphonsus Catholic Church FHL#1029797, #M5. Also at Ancestry.com under Quebec Church Records.
They had maybe five (5) children:
- Andrew Laughlin McDonell born 4 November 1859, baptized 15 November 1859 (#B73 FHL#1029798)
- Jessy McDonell born about 1860. (This is not confirmed.)
- Ellen McDonell born 1 February 1862, baptized 11 February 1862 (#B12, FHL#1029798)
- Alexander McDonald born about 1862 and died 24 May 1877, buried 26 May 1877 (#1320, pg. 89, Cemetery Inscriptions and Burial Records book)
- Helena McDonell born about 1872 and died 6 March 1875 (#B85, pg. 24, Cemetery Inscriptions and Burial Records book).
The two strongest candidates for the children of this couple are Ellen and Alexander for they are on Nellie’s chart and the chart that Elaine Brown shared with me. Andrew? was added from the St. Alphonsus Records while Jessy is a big maybe and unfortunately I cannot figure out why I have added this child? I did a lot of this work on the family ten years ago so I am having to revisit and double-check and re-source my records. So please use this as a guide.