Jennette was a challenge because the priests changed the spelling of last names of individuals according their individual preferences so there were many variations of the surname McDonell/McDonald,McDonnell, etc. To make matters even harder they changed the spelling of Jennette’s first name as well. You will notice different spellings for first and last names for individuals. It is best to keep and open mind!! (See source summary at the end of this post.)
Jennette Catherine McDONELL was born about 1836 to Alexander John and Ellen (McPHERSON) McDONELL. She died 2 September 1916 and was buried 4 September 1916 in the St. Alphonsus Church cemetery in Chapeau (Cemetery Inscriptions and Burial Records…#A76, Row 3, pg. 4, and #1315, pg. 89).
Jennette married twice, first to Angus John McDONALD and then to Thomas PAYNE.
I. Marriage No. 1: Jennette and Angus John McDONALD were married on the 26th of September 1851 in the St. Alphonsus Church. Angus John’s father was Angus McDONELL (note the spelling?).
Sources for their marriage are:
1) FHL#1029797, #M10 St. Alphonsus Church Records.
2) Marriage Du Comte De Pontiac 1836-1973 FHL Book#971.4215 K29.
Angus and Jeanette had (8) eight children during their marriage and many descendants.
1. Margaret McDONALD – may or may not be part of this family.
2. Sara Catherine McDONALD – may or may not be part of this family.
3. Jane Wilhelmina McDONALD was born 3 September 1852 in Chapeau and was baptized the 21st of September 1852. (#B83, FHL#1029797). She died about 1902 and is buried with her husband in the St. Alphonsus Church cemetery. (Cemetery Inscriptions and Burial Records… #A220, pg. 10).
Jane married a Daniel J. KENNEDY who was born about 1848 and died around 1923 in the Chapeau area. He and Jane are buried in the St. Alphonsus Church Cemetery (Cemetery Inscriptions and Burial Records…,#A220, pg. 10).
Jane and Daniel had a very large family of eleven (11) children:
a) Mary Marcella KENNEDY (no birth information found) was married to John BUTLER on 19 July 1893 (#M6, page 136, FHL#1304675). John’s parents were Patrick BUTLER and Mary HAYDEN.
Mary and John had five children:
1) Joseph Herbert BUTLER was born 1 May 1894 and baptized 13 May 1894 (#B36, FHL#1304675).
2) John Cecil BUTLER was born 3 January 1896 and baptized 13 January 1896 (#B4, FHL#1304675).
3) Edward Leslie BUTLER was born 18 November 1897 and baptized 20 November 1897 (#B45, FHL# 1304675).
4) M. Francis Elsie BUTLER was baptized 16 October 1904 (#B70, pg. 242, FHL#2030662).
5) Mary Ellen BUTLER baptized 19 January 1915 (#B5, FHL#2030662)
b) Kenneth KENNEDY – See Nellie’s chart.
c) Clara Anne KENNEDY (no birth information) was married to James S. RYAN on 22 August 1898 at the St. Alphonsus Church (#M12, FHL#1304675). James Ryan’s parents were James RYAN and Catherine McGUIRE.
Clara and James also had a large family of seven children:
1) Daniel James RYAN born 5 June 1899, baptized 9 June 1899 (#B46, #1304675)
2) Catherine Jane RYAN born 23 March 1901, baptized 31 March 1901 (#B19, FHL#1304675).
3) Elizabeth Ellen RYAN baptized 3 July 1908 (#B58, pg. 414, FHL#2030662).
4) Mary Helen RYAN baptized 27 December 1910 (#B96 pg. 491, FHL#2030662).
5) Maria Latita RYAN baptized 16 January 1913 (#B1, pg. 554, FHL#2030662). May have married a Barny Robshaw?
6) Patrick Joseph Edward RYAN baptized 18 July 1915 (#B36, pg. 8, FHL#2030662).
7) Rita Ethel RYAN baptized 12 May 1918 (#B24, pg. 44, FHL#2030662).
d) Edward Kennedy – See Nellie’s chart.
e) Alexander Ernest KENNEDY (no birth information found) married Mary Catherine KEARNEY on the 11th of September 1906. (#M15, pg. 327, FHL#2030662).
f) Lena KENNEDY – She may have been a nun. Update her full name was Helena Josephine and she was a nun named Sister Mary Daniel. (12/22/2017)
g) Marg Ethel KENNEDY was born about 1878 (Cemetery Inscription and Burials Records…, #B98,Section B, Row 5, pg. 24) and died around 1961.
She married a Thomas John POUPORE born about 1874 and who died around 1956. The date of their marriage was 11 September 1901 (#M19, FHL#2030662).
Ethel and Thomas had 4 children:
1) Lawrence Kennedy POUPORE born 19 Dec 1902 and baptized 25 Dec 1902 (#B91, FHL#2030662).
2) Ryburn Alexander POUPORE was baptized 1 April 1905 (#B19, pg. 257, FHL#2030662). Ryburn may have married a M. Mildred BURNIE per a note on his baptismal record.
3) Joseph Elmer POUPORE was baptized 17 Jan 1911 (#B8, pg. 493, FHL#2030662).
4) Mary Catherine Genette POUPORE was born 22 Dec 1915 (#B70, pg. 13, FHL#2030662). She may have married an
Edward Thomas Edmund Gallagher? She was confirmed 13 May 1927.
h) Angus Gordon McDonald KENNEDY was born 29 May 1882, baptized 11 June 1882, died 1903 (#B47, FHL#1304675). (Cemetery Inscriptions and Burial Records…#A220). He is buried with his parents. He may have drowned? Update: He died in a canoe accident on the Ottawa River 3, July 1903 (12/22/2017) Interesting note: Archibald McDonell was listed as a sponsor of this child. He is my great-grandfather.
i) Elizabeth Anne KENNEDY was born 11 October 1885 and baptized 20 October 1885. She may have been a nurse (#B104, FHL1304675). Update she married Arthur Gogin in the U.S. and was a private nurse (12/22/2017).
j) John Allan KENNEDY was born 29 February 1888 and baptized 4 March 1888 (#B14, FHL1304675). He married a Mary Teresa POUPORE on the 10th of October 1916. Her parents were Andrew POUPORE and Marguerite VERNE (#M17, pg. 24, FHL2030662).
k) Mary Edna Loretta KENNEDY was born the 21st of April 1895 and baptized on the 28th of April 1895 (#B3, pg. 217, #1304675). She married an Andrew KENNEDY on the 13th of September 1922 per a note written next to her baptismal record.
4. John McDONALD born 22 March 1854, baptized 6 April 1854 according to his birth/baptismal records (#B14, FHL#1029797). There is a burial record for a John McDONELL who died 18 March 1854 in the Cemetery Inscriptions and Burial Records book #1323 p. 89. According to a visitor to this website she has confirmed that this date of his death is correct (12/22/2017). He died at 4 months old.
These dates don’t work but the parents are Angus and Jeanette? Maybe the year is off?
5. Ellen McDONALD born 27 November 1855, baptized 8 December 1855 (#B69, FHL#1029797). Ellen died 29 January 1900 and was buried 31 January 1900 (Cemetery Inscriptions and Burial Records book…#A61, 1313).
Ellen is stated to have married a James L. FERGUSON (Furgeson) and had six children by him. They are listed on Nellie’s chart.
1) Aneas FERGUSON
2) John FERGUSON
3) Jenny FERGUSON
4) Alma FERGUSON
5) Ellen Elizabeth FERGUSON born 20 August 1885, baptized 9 September 1885 (#B86, FHL#1304675).
6) Joseph Angus Alymer FERGUSON born 16 June 1888, baptized 11 July 1888, (#B62, FHL#1304675). He died 22 July 1903 and was buried the 24 of July 1903 (Cemetery Inscriptions and Burial Records…#587, pg. 65).
6. Elizabeth Anne McDONALD was born about 1858 and she died 31 March 1882 and was buried 2 April 1882 (Cemetery Inscriptions and Burial Records…#1322, pg. 89).
Elizabeth married an Edward POUPORE (alternate spelling Edouard Paupare). Edward was the son of William POUPORE and Susan McADAMS.
Edward and Elizabeth were married on the 14 of July 1879 (#M5 FHL #1304675). This couple is also listed in the Marriages Du Comte De Pontiac 1836-173 FHL Book 971.4215 K29.
There seems to be some confusion regarding Elizabeth’s middle name. I have seen “Jane” and “Anne” used. I am lending toward the “Anne.”
The children were:
(1) Mary Ellen POUPORE who married a Daniel Joseph KENNEDY on 15 October 1907. She might have had a nickname of “Mayme?” (#M23, FHL#2030662, p. 379).
(2) Elizabeth Anne POUPORE born about Mar 1882, died 8 August 1882 and was buried 9 August 1882 (Cemetery Inscriptions and Burial Records…#1336, pg. 90).
7. Elenar Catherine McDONALD was born 1 September 1860 and baptized 2 September 1860 (#B74, FHL#1029798).
8. Mary McDONALD born 9 March 1862 and was baptized 20 March 1862 (#B35, FHL#1029798).
Angus John McDONALD died on the 21 May 1866 and is buried in the St. Alphonsus Church Cemetery (Cemetery Inscriptions and Burial Records…#A76 Row 3, pg. 4, #1307).
II. Marriage No. 2: Jennette remarried to a Thomas Payne and had one at least one child with him. I did not find a marriage record for this couple.
O’Kane O’Kain Cameron PAYNE was born April 1869 and baptized 10 April 1869 (#B29, FHL#1029798).
O’Kain married Catherine O’BRIEN b. about 1875 (no record found at this time) and had six children:
(1) Mary Helen PAYNE was born 2 April 1901, baptized 6 April 1901 (#B22, FHL#2030662). She died 9 June 1917 and was buried June 1917. (Cemetery Inscriptions and Burial Records… #1565)
(2) Thomas Cameron PAYNE was baptized on 3 May 1906 (#B62, FHL#2030662).
(3) Lincoln John PAYNE was baptized 5 April 1908. (#B21, FHL#2030662, pg. 396)
(4) Edward Allen PAYNE was baptized 9 January 1910. (#B3, #2030662, pg. 400)
(5) Janet Catherine PAYNE was baptized 13 April 1913 (#B16, FHL#2030662, pg. 559)
(6) George O’Kain PAYNE was baptized 26 December 1920 (#B95, pg. 491, FHL #2030662).
Source: 1891 Canadian Census, Chichester, Pontiac Co., Quebec, T6413, pg. 1-30. Family 10, Payne, Thomas, 54 yrs. old, married, born in Ont., father born in England, mother born in Scotland, Roman Catholic, farmer. Janet, female, 59 yrs old. married, widowed, born in Ont., father and mother born in Scotland, R.C. O’Kain, male, 22 years old, not married, born in Quebec, parents both born in Ont. laborer. Mary Poupore, female 10 years old, born in Quebec, parents born in Ont.
Update: In the book: “For Singing and Dancing and all Sorts of Fun,” by I. Sheldon Posen. There is a picture of O’Kain Payne on the page between 62 and 63. His name is spelled O’Kain by the author.
Thomas Payne was born about 1838 and died 6 June 1907 and is buried in the St. Alphonsus Church Cemetery (Cemetery Inscriptions and Burial Records…#A257, pg. 12).
Attached is a PDF of the descendants of Jeanette McDonell without the sources. Please note that Thomas Payne was her 2nd husband and Angus McDonald was her first: JennetteMcDonald2011
1) Aunt Nellie’s Charts – see the post on this blog dated July 21, 2011 “Nellie’s Charts – Her Mother Mary McDonell’s Family,” to obtain a copy of Nellie’s chart.
2) Elaine Brown Descendancy Chart 2003. Elaine’s chart had some differences but on the whole it was very close to Aunt Nellie’s chart for this side of the family. Elaine shared this with me in private but I am sure she would be open to sharing with others if they contact here through her email at her Burns-Grier website at: http://www.personainternet.com/etbrown/burns.htm Just let her know why you are contacting her.
3) Canadian Census found at the Family History Library (FHL) or at Ancestry. Additional census research needs to be done on each of these family units.
4) St. Alphonsus Church Records online at the Family History Library website. Choose Quebec for location, go deeper to Pontiac County and choose church records.
5) The post on this blog dated March 23, 2010 “Records of the St. Alphonsus Church,” gives details of this collection of church records from Elaine’s book and a little of my input.
5) Ancestry.com’s Church Records collection (Drouin) for Quebec at their website.
6) “Cemetery Inscriptions and Burial Records of the St. Alphonsus Church..,” compiled by Elaine Brown available online for sale at: http://www.personainternet.com/etbrown/alphonse.htm
7) Marriage Du Comte Du Comte De Pontiac 1836-1973 in book or CD-ROM format. World Vital Records online has a copy but they will charge you. WorldCat may help you to locate a copy of this book near you in a public archive.
NOTE: Please be advised that I studied the St. Alphonsus Church registers up to about 1920 and stopped. I was trying to establish that my Aunt Nellie’s charts were accurate and that these families did exist. I was more interested in learning about Archibald and Mary McDonell my great grandparents who left Chapeau and Chichester about 1901 and migrated to Minnesota. I went a little beyond the date of 1901 up to about 1920 to just see the possibilities. When I first studied these films I did not do a great job of sourcing them to my Legacy database, so I have been spending the time cleaning up and hopefully, I have correctly assigned the sources to the person and the dates are correct. I would suggest that if you are a descendant of Jennette and Angus John or Thomas Payne please review these films and sources carefully.
Take the above information on these families as a guide only!
Oh, if you are a cousin, please contact me, I would love to meet you!!!
PS: The above photos were added on 9/1/2018 with permission of L. Kennedy and her father. I love my cousins.