UPDATE October 7, 2014: Can you believe it. My trip has come and gone! I left on September 6 landing in Buffalo, NY and headed up to Niagara Falls starting my trip into Ontario going west and then east and returning to Buffalo. The trip started on my Boardmans and Browns blog and then when I arrived in Kingston, Ontario I came over to this blog to complete my journey. http://boardmanbrown.wordpress.com/
It was EPIC. I did 2011 miles on my first trip to Ontario in 2012 and on this trip I did 1964 miles, just 47 miles short of the first one! It is good to be home but I will be heading to Salt Lake City for the British Isles course on Scottish Research. So I am busy getting things finished up for this trip and getting ready for the next.
UPDATE: July 22, 2014: Time is flying and I am preparing for my second trip to Ontario and Quebec coming this Fall 2014. This is going to be epic, let’s hope my energy holds out. HA!
I will be doing a lot of research that will involve several of my blogs which are targeted to various lines of my family. This blog, The Man Who Lived Airplanes will be about the McDonald’s and the new information I have found or has been shared with me by others. I will again revisit the Glengarry area of Ontario for I fell in love with the St. Lawrence River.
I will be learning about the Loyalists and delving into that history as well. I am going to visit Loyalists sites in New York which could be very interesting.
As usual my trips involved multiple lines of my family and my mother’s side will be of great importance. I will travel to London, Ontario, Strathroy and Lambton County. I will visit LaPeer County, Michigan and follow the Brown family hopefully building on my cousins work. You will find my posts on the blog The Boardmans and Browns of Winnipeg.
I cannot help myself but on my last trip I visited the statue of Capt. John Butler (Colonel) in Ottawa and will be learning more about that side of the Revolution. Solomon Goss was taken prisoner at Forty Fort but escaped according to local history and John Butler was there. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Wyoming You will find more about this on the blog: Solomon Goss of Fearing Twp., In Ohio.
Here is a list of the posts I wrote regarding my first trip to Ontario and Quebec. I am sure that links have changed so be aware and if you have a questions just place a comment and I will help you out.
We start with my tour of the Upper Ottawa River Valley on both the Ontario and Quebec sides.
- Monday, May 21, 2012: A Tour of The Upper Ottawa, First Pembroke’s Marina, May 27, 2012
- Touring the Upper Ottawa River: Pontiac County, Quebec – Allumette Island and Chapeau, May 27, 2012
- Touring the Upper Ottawa River: St. Alphonsus of Liguori, May, 28, 2012
- Touring the Upper Ottawa: Chichester Township, Pontiac County, Quebec, June 4, 2012
- Touring the Upper Ottawa River: Sheenboro Township in Quebec, June 9, 2012
- Touring the Upper Ottawa Valley: St. Joseph on Allumette Island, Quebec, June 12, 2012
- The Pontiac Archives, Shawville, Quebec, June 13, 2012
- The Pontiac Archives, Shawville, Quebec – One More Time!, June 14, 2012
- Calumet Island, Pontiac County, Quebec, June 14, 2012
- Hwy 148: The Quebec Side of the Outaouais River, June 15, 2012
- Pembroke, Renfrew County, Ontario, June 15, 2012
- Pembroke, Ontario: The Upper Ottawa Valley Genealogical Group & Library, June 15, 2012
At this time I headed back to Ottawa via Arnprior and I am so glad I stopped in that city:
- Arnprior, Renfrew County, Ontario: Archives, June 15, 2012
- Arnprior: Albert Street Cemetery, June 15, 2012
- First Visit: Ottawa in the Rain!, June 15, 2012
- Ottawa: The Ottawa Public Library, Main Branch, June 16, 2012
- Ottawa: Libraries and Archives Canada!, June 16, 2012
- Ottawa: Exploring its Food, Pubs and Sights, June 16, 2012
- Ottawa: A Pub and the Rideau Canal!, June 27, 2012
This is when I headed west to pursue the family history of the Browns. Now a lot of McDonells/MacDonalds came to Lanark so I am glad I stopped there as well just wish it has been a little longer now.
- Lanark County: Smith Falls, Ontario, June 17, 2012
- Smith Falls and the Rideau Canal, June 17, 2012
- Perth, no time to dally!, June 18, 2012
- West to Marmora, Hastings County, Ontario, June 18, 2012
The Ontario Genealogical Society was having their conference in Kingston. I attended and also visited the Diocese of Ontario for Brown research.
- Arriving in Kingston, Ontario, June 20, 2012
- Kingston: Anglican Archive, Visit with a Friend & the OGS, June 21, 2012
Since I don’t know the origins of Archibald and Mary McDonell my great grandparents yet, I figured I should get to know all the famous McD’s possible.
Now we start with the McD search and research:
- Kingston and the Cataraqui Cemetery – A Special Visit, June 22, 2012
- The St. Lawrence River and the 1000 Island Parkway, June 22, 2012
- Brockville: A quick Visit!, June 22, 2012
- Prescott, another town on the St. Lawrence, June 22, 2012
- At Last! Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry!, June 22, 2012
- An Overview: Dundas, Stormont and the city of Cornwall, Ontario, June 24, 2012
- The Cornwall Public Library’s Genealogical & History Collection, June 24, 2012
- A Gem in the United Counties of S.D.&G: La Genealogie et archives Saint-Laurent, Inc., June 24, 2012
- Cornwall Community Museum! June 25, 2012
- Touring Glengarry: Glengarry Archives & the Sir John Johnson House, June 26, 2012
- Touring Glengarry: The Nor’Westers and Loyalist Museum, June 26, 2012
- Touring Glengarry: Williamstown, June 26, 2012
- Touring Glengarry: Dunvegan & The Glengarry Pioneer Museum, June 27, 2012
- Touring Glengarry: Alexandria “The Centre of Glengarry,” June 27, 2012
- Touring Glengarry: St. Raphael’s, June 28, 2012
- Touring Glengarry: Martintown, June 28, 2012
- Touring Glengarry: St. Andrews West (Stormont), June 28, 2012
- Touring Glengarry: Lancaster, June 28, 2012
- Last Night in Cornwall, A Turn of Events and a lovely view!, June 28, 2012
- Touring Glengarry: Cornwall to South Lancaster, June 29, 2012
- Touring Glengarry: Kirkhill, June 29, 2012
- Touring Glengarry: Lochiel, Glen Sandfield, Dalkeith, June 29, 2012
- Prescott, Russell, The Ottawa River & Ottawa!, June 29, 2012
- Ottawa and Gatineau Archives, June 30, 2012
- In Reflection: My Trip to Ontario and Quebec, June 30, 2012