Duncan McDonell, a son of Alexander John and Ellen (McPherson) McDonell, was born about 1842 in Lower Canada which refers to Quebec. He married Elizabeth Sauve on the 27th of February 1865 at the St. Alphonsus Church. Elizabeth was born about 1846/47 per census information. (#M6, FHL#1029798)
Her parents were probably Clement Sauve and Marie Blandon but this is not for certain because the marriage record of Duncan and Elizabeth housed at the St. Alphonsus church does not list the couples’ parents like the majority of the records of that church.
Duncan McDonell died the 6th of May 1910 and was buried in the St. Alphonsus Cemetery on 8 May 1910 (Cemetery Inscriptions and Burial Records #1311). Elizabeth died about 1924.
There are descendants who are living and the compiler has had the honor of visiting with them and getting to know them. They are my father Keith’s cousins. A family tree was supplied by one of the living cousin’s so some of the following information came from her and I do not know where she obtained her information. The compiler of this post and blog has done some research on the Duncan McDonell family but not in-depth, so it is strongly advised that you use the information descendant chart as a guide only.
According to my cousin, Duncan and Elizabeth (Bettsie) McDonell had 15 children?
(1) Mary Elizabeth McDonell born 29 July 1865, baptized the 30th of July 1865. (#B66, FHL#1029798). Mary Elizabeth did not marry. She does appear in the 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901 census (See census below).
(2) John McDonell born 25 July 1866, baptized the 29th of July 1866. (#B82, FHL#1029798). John appears in the 1871 census as 4 years old. A John M. is found in the 1881 census also 4 years old? This means the 2nd John may have been born in 1877?
(3) Rose Ann Ellen McDonell born 12 May 1868, baptized 9 June 1868. (#B51, FHL#1029798). She may have married a Thomas William Leahey and had at least one child: Willietta Leahy. She appears in the 1871, 1881 and 1891 census.
(4) Alexander Clement McDonell born 1870 and died 28 March 1892 and was buried 30 March 1892. He may have had a nickname of “Clemo.” (#1332. pg. 90, #1332 Cemetery Inscriptions and Burial Registrations)
(5) Robert Roland McDonell born the 14th of January, 1872, baptized on the 26th of March 1872 (#B34, FHL#1029798) and died the 30th of January 1965 in California. He married a Celina Catherine Gray on 4 April 1910 (#M3, pg. 67 FHL#2030662) and they migrated to Minnesota. Robert and Catherine will be further discussed in a future post. Catherine’s parents were Alexander Francis Gray and Catherine Alponsine Maloney. There is some confusion about Ronald’s name. He may have been called “Donald.” He appears in the 1881 and 1891 census.
(6) Euralia McDonell born in December of 1873, baptized 22 December 1873. (#B73, FHL#1029798). She appears in the 1881 and 1891 census but her name is spelled very oddly.
(7) Anonymous McDonell died 15 Sep 1875, buried 16 Sep, 1875 (#1307, pg. 89 Cemetery Inscriptions and Burial Records).
(8) Theresa Jane McDonell born 1 January 1876, baptized 16 January 1876. (#B6, FHL#1304675). It is said she never married. She appears in the 1881 and 1891 census.
(9) Ambrose McDonell born about 1877 in Quebec. Might have married Gray Annie McCarthy and had children. He does not appear in the 1881 census but he does in the 1891?
(10) James McDonell born 3 August 1879 (#B51, FHL#1304675). James appears in the 1881 and 1891 census.
(11) Aimee McDonell born after 1879 and may have married a man by the name of Cecil. This child does not appear in any census with the family or does any record of marriage or death appear?
(12) George Eugene McDonell born 8 May 1881, baptized 26 May 1881 (#B44, FHL#1304675) and died 1 December 1909 and was buried on 3 December 1909. (#1314, Pg. 89 Cemetery Inscriptions and Burial Records.) George appears in the 1891 and 1901 census with the family.
(13) Marcella McDonell born 26 April 1883. (#B13, FHL#1304675). Marcella appears in the 1891 and 1901 census.
(14) Susan Mary Harriett McDonell born 16 August 1887, baptized 20 September 1887 (#B67, FHL#1304675). She was buried 23 March 1914. (#1319, pg. 89, Cemetery Inscriptions and Burial Records ). Elizabeth, her mother, was 40 years old at this child’s birth?
(15) Steven/Stephen McDonell born about 1890 and died 18 May 1955. (#A430, pg. 19 Cemetery Inscriptions and Burial Records) He married a Mary Lepine on the 25th of April 1917. She was the daughter of Oliver Lepine and Helene Ranger. (#M7, pg. 52, FHL#2030662). Also listed in the book: Marriages Du Comte De Pontiac 1836-1973. Elizabeth, his mother, would have been 43 years old by the time Steven was born, so this might be stretching things; however, the census for 1891 has a Steven listed with the family.
Stephen and Mary (Lepine) McDonald had 11 children. Some of these children may still be living so I have edited the information and since I cannot compare to the census realize this is very rough:
(1) Mary E. M. McDonald born 17 September 1918 and died about 1920. (#B53 FHL#2030662, pg. 47).
(2) Mary S.C. McDonald baptized 16 February 1920. Mary may have married a Winkle.
(3) Jean McDonald born May 1922 and died in the summer of 1998. She may have married a Peaver.
(4) Twin – Cecil McDonald b. unknown, died March 1945.
(5) Twin – Lorina McDonald b. unknown, died March 1945.
(6) Irene McDonald b. unknown, died 1923. May have married a Heatherington
(7) Wilbert McDonald born 1925, died 1989. He may have married a Fleury.
(8) Kempton G. McDonald born 1928. Married a Todd and have five children.
(9) Helen birth unknown, may have married a Chase/Caisgrain.
(10) Renia born 1931 may have married a Calhoun.
(11) Shirley born 14 March 1934 and may have married a Balinger and had one daughter.
UPDATE 6/20/2013 – I did not include Joseph McDonald who appears in the 1901 Census about 3 years old.
(16) Joseph M. McDonell born 3 April 1898 (suspect date) , Quebec, he married Clara Alphonse Laplante daughter of John and Alphonsine Lecuyer, on 9 Aug. 1924 at the Immaculate Conception, Massey, Sudbury, Ontario (provided by cousins June 2013).
Duncan appears in the 1861 census with his family and sister Mary, Keith’s grandmother. That census has been featured in the post dated: November 11, 2010 “Mary McDonell, Archie’s Future Bride – 1861!
Please consult the census pages for more details on the family for the following is just a short summary.
The 1871 Canadian Census has Duncan and Elizabeth building a family:
Duncan McDonell is 28 years old, Scotch background, a laborer, and married. Dwelling location 76, house #15/16. Next is Elizabeth, 26 years old, French, married. Mary Elizabeth 5 yrs., John 4 yrs., Rose Ellen, 2 yrs., Alexander 1 yr. All Scottish. All born in Quebec and all Catholic. Source: 1871 Canadian Census, Chichester Twp., district 91, So. Pontiac, Film #0493443, pg. 22″
The 1881 Canadian Census reveals more of the Duncan and Elizabeth McDonell family:
Line 9, 98, 101, McDonell, Duncan, M. age 39, Catholic, Scottish, laborer, Elizabeth, F, age 25, Catholic, French. Mary, F, age 15. Rose Ellen, F, age 12. Alexander, M, age 11. Ronald, M, age 9. [Nanania], F, age 7. Teresa, F, age 5, John, M, age 4. James, M, age 2. All Catholic, and all born in Quebec. Source: 1881 Canadian Census, Pontiac Co., District 98, pg. 27, Ancestry.com.
The 1891 Canadian Census gives the following information:
McDonald, Duncan, M, 49 yrs, Married, Quebec?, parents born in Ont. both, farm, labourer. Elizabeth, F, 46 years, Married, wife, born in Ont, French Canadian, parents both born in Ont.. Elizabeth, 26, daughter, born in Quebec, parents born in Quebec. Rosa, 23 yrs old, daughter, born in Quebec, parents born in Quebec. Clement, male, 21 yrs old, son born in Quebec, laborer. Ronald, male, 19 yrs old, son, born in Quebec, laborer. [Vrnia], female, 17 years old, daughter, born in Quebec. Teresa, female, 16 yrs. old, daughter born in Quebec. Ambrose, male, 14 yrs old, son born in Quebec. James, male, 12 yrs. old, son, born in Quebec. George, male, 10 yrs. old, son, born in Quebec. 2nd pg. McDonald, Marcia, Female, 8 yrs. old, daughter born in Quebec. R.C. (Roman Catholic). Susan, female, 3 yrs old., daughter born in Quebec. Steven, male, one yr. old, son born in Quebec. Source: 1891 Canadian Census, Chichester, Pontiac Co., Quebec, Canadian Film #T6413 pg. 1-30.
The 1901 Canadian Census gives more detail but is very hard to read, here is a summary.
Line 4, 05, , McDonald, Duncan, M, Head, [10 Mois 1862] age 58, married, laborer, Elizabeth F, wife, M, 14 Sept. 1845, age 55. Elizabeth F, daughter, S, 27 July 1866 age 34. Ambrose, M, son, S, 28 Jany 1876, age 24, laborer. James, M, son, S, 4 May 1878, age 22. George, M, son, S, 8 April 1880, age 20, Marcellan F, daughter, S, 24 April 1882, age 18. Susan, F, daughter, S, 15 Aug 1886, age 14. Stephen, M, son, S, 29 Jan 1889, age 11. Joseph M, son, S, 3 April 1898. All born in Quebec, all Scottish. Source: 1901 Canadian Census, Quebec, Pontiac Co., Chichester Twp. pg. 12, District 2, S. District 180? Reading Duncan’s birth information was very difficult. I do not think he was born in 1862 more like 1842 since he appears in the 1861 census.
By 1911 Duncan has died and Elizabeth is alone with one of her son’s and a grandson and they are listed as Irish?
Line 23, 62, 64, McDonald, Elizabeth, Chichester, F, Head, W, Sept, 1846, age 65, Irish, no occupation, Stephen, M, Son, Jan 1890, age 21, laborer. Joseph, M, grandson, April 1899, age 12, no occupation. Source: 1911 Canadian Census, Quebec, Pontiac Co., Chichester Twp., pg. 8, 185 Pontiac, S. Dist. No. 6, ED #1. I do not know who Joseph’s parents are!
Based on the information presented it becomes apparent that Duncan and Elizabeth may have a lot of children but there really wasn’t that many descendants. Eight of the children did not have children. There are three of the children that are questionable and more research is needed, so that leaves 4 children that had descendants: Robert, Rose, Ambrose and Steven. Now the estate file for Duncan has not been consulted and that might reveal more of the family relationships. Land records have also not been consulted at this time.
Update 6/20/2013: I am not happy with the list of Duncan’s children. Elizabeth is too old to have some of them. So I need to revisit this and confirm my findings
Note: Please note that the name Sauve may have an accent over the last letter: Sauve´. There are other possible spellings of the name like “Sauvier” and/or “Thauvier.”